Patent Searching Associate, Slough
Patent Searching Associate, Global Patent Department (GPD)
Reports to: Senior Patent Attorney
Location: Slough, UK
An opportunity is available for a Patent Searching Associate to be part of our exciting journey at our newly created Health HQ.
WHO WE ARE
We’re 40,000 entrepreneurs, all inspired by a vision of a world where people are healthier and live better. At the heart of our rapidly growing consumer health business is a passionate desire to help people feel better. We invest in research and development to find new ways for people to look after themselves, their families and homes.
We believe passionately in doing things the right way, and we believe that the better way helps us deliver high quality products that touch consumers each and every day. Health is no longer just the absence of illness, it’s being able to lead a fitter and happier life. Our responsibility is to help people achieve this, while making the right kind of social and environmental impact.
RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITIES
This is a critical role within GPD providing patent searching support across all of RB’s global Health PowerBrand categories. You would have responsibility for but not restricted to the following:
- Defining the search strategy (databases, classes and codes, keywords and indexing) and conducting patent searches including clearance (freedom to operate), patentability, and opposition / validity searches.
- Reviewing and analysing the search results, and presenting deliverables to enable assessments by the relevant patent attorney to support decision-making by operational management.
- Managing the outsourcing of such searches where required according to technology and time constraints.
- Defining and conducting, or managing the outsourcing of, corresponding registered design searches as appropriate.
- Supporting searches for due diligence for M&A for new brand acquisitions if and when directed by the VP GC, Patents.
- Supporting other IP-related information searches as required.
- Providing training to R&D and other functions as required, to enable them to conduct their own basic patent searches.
- Responsibility for maintaining RB’s tools and resources for providing patent family and legal status information.
- Keeping up to date with developments in the patent information field and providing recommendations for the searching tools and resources to be used internally.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
- The business language in RB is English, therefore fluency in English is essential.
- Educated to degree level.
- Significant patent searching experience in the chemical field (including formulation searches).
- Familiar with major patent-related databases and hosts e.g. PatBase, STN, Questel.
- Exposure to FMCG businesses is an advantage.
IS THIS YOU?
- Commercially aware with an ability to demonstrate attention to detail and work within tight deadlines where required.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills at all levels.
- In line with RB core values, the candidate will be achievement focussed and able to work in a direct and often pressurised environment.
- Entrepreneurial skills in terms of innovation and problem solving are key along with tenacity, tough-mindedness and ability to influence and demonstrate strong team working abilities and commitment.
A full job description can be seen here.
Please send your CV and covering letter via email to email@example.com.