nChain is the global leader in advisory, research, and development of blockchain technologies. Established in 2015 nChain is providing the tools and techniques for a scalable, stable, and secure infrastructure in global trade. Our focus is to enable global adoption and enterprise-level usage of the Bitcoin SV blockchain.
With over 10 years of research pertaining to blockchain technology, nChain is in a unique position to be able to use the intellectual property and technical knowledge and expertise developed over the years to help enterprise clients to take advantage of blockchain technology.
We know that great technology needs great people. That’s why we offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, and the unique opportunity to work with some of the greatest minds in blockchain.
nChain is headquartered in London, with a workforce of 50 people who are focused on 3 key areas: Professional Services; Research; and Engineering & Technical Solutions.
Based in central London (Oxford Circus), our open plan offices enable our people to collaborate with industry leaders and incredible minds. And at the end of the day, whether on the tennis court, at the gym, or over a drink, there's something for everyone away from the office.
We are a fast-growing company, which has a strong multicultural ethic, and is open to new initiatives and ideas.
Our culture is built on our people values of innovation, courage and passion. We have courage in our convictions; we empower our people and those who believe in our vision. We embrace innovation and creative thinking. We are passionate about our people and what we believe, and we believe in those who are passionate about our vision.
We're fast-growing, fearless and fun-loving. Join us and find your edge.
Who we look for
We are looking for smart people who are able to work quickly with highly skilled peers. Our team is small and distributed but very high functioning. We need people who can self-start and solve problems on their own. They also need to collaborate with both internal and community stakeholders.
What we offer
We are offering a competitive salary including excellent benefits on top:
- Pension match scheme up to 5%
- Private Healthcare Insurance, where dependents can be added
- Life Assurance of 4x times salary
- 25 days’ holidays
- Workplace perks
A quick overview of the Patent Counsel role
A unique opportunity to help build one of the leading patent positions (nChain is currently is in top 5 of patent applicants) in the blockchain space and put it to use in support of nChain’s commercial objectives. The role would suit a recently qualified patent attorney in private practice who would like to experience working in-house, in a team small enough to provide broad exposure to and significant responsibility for creating and exploiting commercially valuable IP assets.
- Understanding the cutting-edge technology behind the nChain patent portfolio
- Liaising directly with nChain’s R&D team, project teams and external collaborators to identify inventions and to determine how best to protect them
- Coordinating external patent counsel on patent filing, prosecution and oppositions
- Evaluating third-party IP opportunities and risks
- Creating presentations and written content about nChain’s intellectual property assets
What we look for
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be qualified European Patent Attorney
- Keen interest in learning about Bitcoin, blockchain and related areas of technology
- First degree in computer science, electronics, physics or mathematics
- Required: experience of international patent prosecution across multiple jurisdictions
- Helpful: experience of open source licensing issues
- Helpful: experience of IP audits
- 1-2 years post qualification experience
- Ability to undertake patent drafting, global prosecution and European opposition matters
- Ability to undertake and evaluate patent landscape opinions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with leadership, team members and external partners