Patent Attorney, BT
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
You'll be responsible for getting patents on inventions arising in BT’s world-class research facilities, and supporting the subsequent management and deployment of those patents by BT. BT deploys its patent portfolio to maintain its freedom to operate in innovative markets, differentiate its products and services from those of its competitors, earn revenue from licensing and sales, and support its claim for Patent Box tax relief. Additionally, by offering commercial advice in the varied situations in which patents impact BT’s day-to-day business decisions, you'll ensure that BT’s business decisions are fully informed in relation to patents.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’ll work with researchers to identify inventions and draft patent applications to protect those inventions
- You’ll steer BT patent applications to grant – in key jurisdictions around the world - in a timely and cost-effective manner
- You’ll assist in the management of BT’s patent portfolio by deciding on country coverage and maintenance of those BT patent and patent applications for which I’m responsible
- You’ll assist in BT’s assertions of its own patents, and help counter the assertions of third-party patents against BT
- You’ll advise BT people on various IP-related issues impacting BT’s business
- You’ll use opportunities offered by in-house and external sources to keep up-to-date with changes in IP law around the world.
In the first 12 months you'll:
- Gain a thorough understanding of one or more fields in which BT carries out research - TV distribution, 5G, AI, Internet of Things, Cyber Security, Data Science, Fibre Optics, Future WiFi, Cloud Infrastructure, NFV/SDN, Big Data and Quantum Technologies
- Work with BT researchers to identify inventions in their research, and draft patent applications related to those inventions
- Take on the prosecution of existing patent applications and steer them towards grant in key jurisdictions around the world.
- Assist BT’s IP licensing team in specific patent assertions and litigations
- Advise BT people on specific issues raised in relation to third-party patents
We’ll need to see these on your CV:
- A UK patent attorney and/or European patent attorney qualification
- Proven ability in a scientific or engineering field (evidenced by a good degree in technical subject). Ability to analyse complex technical systems, to thereby identify the essential features of those systems
- Ability to generate clear, focussed and accurate arguments at legal hearings concerning patents and patent applications
Why choose us?
So why join our Patents Team in BT’s technology arm? You’ll work with leading researchers from BT and its academic partners in fast-moving technologies whose adoption looks set to change the way we live and work.
To capitalise on its £500m+ annual investment in research and development, BT maintains a portfolio of over 5,000 patents and patent applications which it actively uses as in providing ICT products and services to consumers, businesses and governments, both in the UK and around the world.
BT will offer you the opportunity to take on new challenges and flourish in a career you deserve. We will support, invest in you and provide you with a platform like no other. Join BT’s future…come and help us revolutionise things for our customers.
Opportunities for career progression within BT are only limited by your own ambition. Added to this a fantastic salary and benefits package including free superfast broadband and BT TV, discount on BT products, generous pension, bonus structure, company car and private medical insurance for you and your family.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
How to apply:
All applications must be made online. BT does not accept emailed applications.
To find the vacancy please search reference 88075.
Application window: 27 March to 27 April 2018
If you have any specific role-related questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note applications sent to this email address will not be accepted.