Patent Attorney: Cambridge or Manchester
Arm technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
This is an exciting time to join us as our business continues to grow and evolve and help shape how innovation is captured and protected within our business.
About the role
We are looking for a trainee or recently qualified patent attorney to join our patents prosecution team. As part of the team, you will work with our inventor community to advise, bring together and protect innovation across the business, as well as guide and liaise with our external patent counsel throughout the world. You will also have the opportunity to apply, or develop your knowledge to patent rights and open source software/standards setting organisations, as well as be involved in the development of our own internal patent processes for portfolio management.
There is some flexibility in the role and whilst skills and technical knowledge are important, a fit with our culture is too and we may be able to tailor some aspects of the role dependent on whether you are part qualified or have a few years post qualification experience.
As a company with offices throughout the world, occasional UK and international travel may be required.
What will I be accountable for?
You will have the chance to lead, or support, the patent portfolio of one or more technology groups at Arm depending on your knowledge and experience. Activities and responsibilities may include:
- Managing a portfolio of patents, from invention through to grant, with responsibilities including supporting patent prosecution and advising external patent counsel; opportunities may also exist for some patent drafting;
- Working with inventors to capture and review new inventions;
- Providing general advice to the business on patent related matters;
- Providing patent advice to our internal legal partners; and
- Supporting M&A activities such as portfolio due diligence.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Qualified, or part-qualified UK Chartered Patent Attorney / European Patent Attorney / US Patent Attorney; similar patent attorney qualifications from other jurisdictions may be considered if you can demonstrate an understanding of US/UK/EP patent law.
- A university degree in Electronics, Computer Science or a related subject is preferred, although other qualifications will be considered if suitable technical knowledge can be demonstrated.
- A good understanding of one or more of electronics, software, microprocessors, GPUs, telecoms, AI/machine learning, semiconductors or related technologies.
- Capable of working autonomously to manage your own portfolio of cases and associated prosecution deadlines, whilst also being able to demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively within both the Patents team and wider cross-functional teams on other projects.
- Creativity and innovation are also important behaviours you will possess to solve problems presented to the group and also improve the operational effectiveness of our patent prosecution team.
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
How do I apply?
To apply, go to: https://www.arm.com/careers/