Senior Patents Counsel, Switzerland
Senior Patents Counsel - Electronic Devices
Over the past three years, Philip Morris International, PMI has made a dramatic pivot away from the marketing and sales of combustible cigarettes, and moved towards its smoke-free product portfolio, focusing on its flagship product, IQOS. This product is PMI’s step forward to creating a smoke-free future for legal age consumers who continue to enjoy tobacco, but are seeking smoke-free alternatives. All of this has been accompanied by an organization-wide transformation in ways of working, culture and strategy.
Our patents team is growing to accommodate this exciting transformation and we are currently looking to hire a Senior Patents Counsel for our Electronic Devices team in Neuchatel, Switzerland at Philip Morris Products SA.
- Identify and protect PMI’s technical innovations by appropriate intellectual property rights
- Provide expert patent counsel and IP legal support to stakeholders in the research and development, operations, brand building, and external affairs, legal functions
- Identify and protect valuable innovations prior to disclosure through working with internal researchers and management, external business partners and outside counsel
- Manage an international patent portfolio including supervising and coordinating with outside counsel and consulting with stakeholders on acquisition, retention and exploitation of patent assets
- Develop and implement efficient intellectual property protection strategies that support and advance PMI’s business strategies
- Support and counsel the business on decisions related to the maintenance and enforcement of PMI’s technical IP rights
- Assess impact of third party rights on business and research activities, including competitive analyses, validity, freedom-to-operate and non-infringement assessments
- Design and implement strategies to manage the Company’s potential exposure and risks.
- Counsel on IP aspects of transactional matters including licensing and agreements third parties, for example technology transfer and joint-development agreements.
- Represent the Intellectual Property Law Group in cross-functional projects and business teams.
- Lead oppositions and lead or support patent litigation efforts involving PMI as plaintiff or defendant.
- Lead IP due diligence investigations.
- University level degree, in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, or similar.
- Significant post qualification experience as a fully qualified European Patent Attorney, or with a comparable national patent attorney qualification.
- Profound experience of multi-jurisdictional patent procurement and portfolio management, invalidity and freedom-to-operate opinions and, preferably, significant experience in oppositions, validity challenges, and patent litigation.
- Deep and extensive practical knowledge of the European Patent Convention and the Patent Cooperation, and of patent law and practice of key national jurisdictions, preferably including significant knowledge relating to patent invalidity and infringement actions in key jurisdictions.
- Familiarity with the dynamics associated with working in an in-house patent department of a major corporation.Fluency in English, the Company’s official working language
WHY WORK FOR US?
Here are 3 reasons to work for PMI:
- We’re international: Our global workforce of more than 82,000 is one of our greatest strengths and our employees speak more than 80 languages
- We’re flexible: your work fits you and not the other way round, thanks to our Flexible Work Arrangement Program; and
- We’re a certified top employer: This position will advance your experience with innovative technologies, services, and processes. Backed by an attractive salary and compensation package, you will work in a professional setting with clients and team members from all over the world. We are the first multinational company in Switzerland to obtain the Equal-Salary label, for men and women.
Philip Morris International: Building a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to provide a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI’s smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heated tobacco and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of September 30, 2018, PMI estimates that approximately 5.9 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI’s heated tobacco product, which is currently available for sale in 43 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand.
For more information, see our PMI and PMIScience websites.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online via this link
Philip Morris International (PMI)