Department: Intellectual Assess Management - Solvay S.A.
Qualification/Experiences and knowledge
- excellent educational background to degree level or beyond in Chemistry, or Materials Science, with specific experience in polymer-chemistry disciplines;
- at least five years of professional experience in IP ideally from industrial background, although profiles from private practice will be equally considered;
- having gained full professional qualification as an European Patent Attorney;
- ideally qualified as an Italian Patent Attorney, although those having consolidated knowledge of IT patent system will be considered, even in the absence of completed qualification;
- throughout experience in drafting and prosecuting applications, in handling freedom-to-operate/invalidity opinions, in managing opposition matters before the EPO, with the minimum of supervision.
Other key skills and attributes:
- Good personal and communication skills, proficiency in both verbal and written English; proficiency in Italian, or at least willingness to learn;
- Be highly motivated, with the ability to pro-actively organize a challenging workload;
- Be prepared to travel (up to 50 % of working time) to connect with technical and business stakeholders in Solvay location in Bollate (Milan), Italy.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills together with the ability to relate easily at all levels within the organization, particularly to those in the Research, Development and Business.
- Be focused with an attention to detail balanced by sound common sense;
Key responsibilities associated to the proposed position:
- Persistently partner, challenge and counsel internal clients on opportunities to protect their inventions;
- Draft, file and prosecute patents from internal inventors such as for new products, novel manufacturing processes, novel uses thereof,
- Handle Opposition files, including representation before EPO instances for hearings;
- Prepare opinions regarding Freedom-to-Operate (FTO), validity of third parties' IP rights, and other IP-related matters;
- Provide support for drafting and negotiating IP-related contractual instruments, including Confidentiality agreements, R&D services agreement, assignments, licenses.
- Participate in IP educational events aimed at increasing IP awareness in the community of technical and business stakeholders.
- Continuously deepen professional expertise and effectiveness of interactions with scientists’ community;
- Progressively share active responsibility for the patent portfolio of certain technologies/businesses, targets, and projects.
Please apply online via this link.
Agency calls not appreciated.
27 March to 28 April 2018