In-House Patent Attorney
Reports to: Legal Counsel
Based: Hemel Hempstead, however, occasional travel within the UK may be required
Working Hours: 22.5 hours per week
Flexibility (e.g. school hours) offered on working hours Monday to Friday
Eckoh is an exciting established Technology company providing some of the largest businesses in the UK and globally with customer service and payment solutions. Our customers include some of the best-known brands across the world in the UK, US and Australia.
Today, our aim is simple: To help our customers make every contact centre experience satisfying and secure for consumers. Come and discover what's refreshingly different about Eckoh.
We are seeking a patent attorney to join our in-house Legal Team.
- Monitoring Eckoh’s existing IP portfolio
– Prepare semi-annual reports and updating senior management on progress and proposed actions
– Perform relevant ongoing actions resulting from reviews
– Prepare IP summaries for Group Operating Board
– Read, interpret and work with internal staff to draft responses for examination reports, including reading and understanding relevant prior art, market activity, etc.
– Tailor applications to provide maximum IP and commercial benefit, within any constraints raised during the examination process
– Working with technical R&D staff members, to identify key concepts for IP protection
– Produce initial diagrams, descriptions and claims as necessary
– Obtain feedback from internal stakeholders
- Liaising with external patent attorneys
– Managing relationship with respect to patent applications
- Advising senior management on appropriate IP strategy
- Advising on IP provisions in customer agreements
- Monitoring of competitor IP
– Read and evaluate competitor market activity information provided by our sales and marketing teams
– Alert and update sales teams and senior management on relevant concerns or opportunities in particular markets
- Liaising with Finance team for R&D tax credit purposes
- Management of Eckoh’s trademarks, maintaining a trademark register and liaising with external counsel
- Support the Legal Counsel in issuing and reviewing contractual documentation, including customer agreements, NDAs, and supplier agreements
- Updating policies and procedures
- Maintaining contractual filing and records
- Providing training to the business where appropriate
Candidate profile, experience and skill
- You should be a qualified patent attorney (EPA or CPA) with a minimum 1-year PQE
- PC-literate, with a good working knowledge of MS Windows, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge around Intellectual Property.
- Experienced in drafting patent applications as part of a leading law firm or an in-house legal team.
- Experience of working for a telecommunications or technology company is advantageous.
- FTE UK bank holidays + 25 holiday days (which increase with service)
- Share Incentive Scheme
- Life insurance
- Simply Health scheme
- Access to group Bupa membership scheme
- Pension scheme
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Employee Recognition schemes
- Free tea, coffee, fresh fruit and snacks
- Relaxation floor (lunch area, quiet room, pool table, Xbox)
- Well-being initiatives, such as in-house Pilates and Sports Massage
- Discounted offers
- Team days and Volunteering events
- Christmas & summer company events
- Focus on education and training (conference attendance, higher education sponsorship)
We work in an award winning, colourful, dynamic and collaborative environment where you will find flexibility, an open plan office and excellent opportunities for career growth. Our cross-departmental teams work on exciting projects, releasing new technologies to a wide range of clients.
With over 250 colleagues spread across the globe, we're a friendly bunch with a lot of knowledge and exciting plans. We're serious about what we do, but we certainly have a sense of humour. Eckoh is brimming with friendly, energetic and creative individuals, who are proud to be a part of our unique success story.
If you are an innovator and love to find creative solutions to challenges, are passionate about helping customers provide exceptional service and a great team player, then you should consider working here at Eckoh.
Find out more about our team and culture here.
Apply via email.