Business Segment: Global Operations Global Law & Policy
Location(s): France, Germany, Hungary, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom; London, Budapest, Frankfurt, Paris
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Global Operations is GE’s multi-functional shared services. We operate worldwide, transfer knowledge and work with every GE business to make our company simpler, better and more customer-focused. Our culture promotes innovation, knowledge sharing, and collaboration in an open office environment that has leaders both sitting and working alongside their team. We’re looking for entrepreneurial problem-solvers who are passionate about exploring new, efficient ways of working, while gaining exposure across multiple industries. Join the team and help us deliver tomorrow’s GE, today.
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
Being part of Global Operations, the mission of the Global Patent Organization is to protect the GE's valuable assets in the Intellectual Property of the corporation. This missions is accomplished by GPO by drafting, filing, prosecuting and defending valuable patent applications globally.
GE’s in-house patent attorneys combine technology, product and business knowledge with a strong regional or national IP professional know-how and experience to create a unique competitive advantage.
- Flexible location in Europe where Global Operations has major activities including London, Paris, Frankfurt and Budapest.
- Working in an active matrix with business IP Counsels and Patent Engineers/Specialists and the global GPO team to utilize and combine product and technology knowledge and IP professional expertise in the best way.
- Drafting of strong, relevant new patent applications in close co-operation with inventors and the IP team of the related GE business. Act as a valued and challenging partner to achieve the optimal patents for GE.
- Responsible for Prosecuting applications both as priority and secondary filings seeking to achieve the widest possible scope of protection. Willingness to challenge weak cases to achieve the optimal investment for GE.
- Preparation and execution of oppositions, appeals and other litigation matters in close cooperation with business technologists and IP Counsels. Representation at oral proceedings before the European Patent Office or national patent offices as may be required.
- Providing support and advice on a variety of patent topics and issues for the GE’s businesses particularly related to European, national patent law and practice in Europe.
- Academic degree in Physics or Chemistry, Mechanical-, Process-, or Electrical Engineering or related area
- Knowledge in the field of additive technologies is an advantage
- Qualified European Patent Attorney (EQE passed) and preferably also qualified or experienced to work with a patent office of another European jurisdiction
- Significant professional patent-related experience
- Demonstrated ability to draft and prosecute high-quality patent applications and execute client counselling work in English language
- Professional knowledge in another language is beneficial
- Experience preparing and executing opposition proceedings, including representing clients at hearings and appeals before the European Patent Office or national patent offices is desirable
- Working knowledge of applicable international, regional and national patent rules, regulations and practice
- Open minded, friendly and customer oriented attitude, global mindset and capability to work as part of a large international team
- Capability to adapt to changes and working practices or workflows following improvement processes and/or organizational changes
- Flexibility to work under changing priorities and workload for different customers
- Good verbal and excellent written communication skills for efficient interaction with a large variety of internal or external interface partners on different levels having different backgrounds
- Accountability for quality, cost effectiveness and amount of work provided based on transparent and fair evaluation processes
- Strong awareness for cost aspects related to decisions to be taken during the patent lifecycle
- Consulting the business to achieve cost targets or cost reductions
- Willingness for lifelong learning on IP and patents to maintain an elevated level of competence
- Interest in innovations, industry trends and digital transformation related to IP tools, process improvement or patent practice and willingness to share related information within GE