Trainee Patent Attorneys, London or Southampton
We are seeking two part-qualified patent attorneys to work in London or Southampton
Picture yourself working in one of the largest companies in the world. You are at the forefront of a transforming industry and this role will challenge you like no other. Our mission is to provide our consumers with a range of outstanding, innovative reduced risk products from which they can choose. Put simply: more choice, more innovation, less risk.
We have invested $2.5bn over the last six years in the commercialisation and development of potentially reduced-risk cigarette alternatives and our commitment to the future is larger still.
British American Tobacco’s patents team has never been busier and is currently expanding with an exciting and challenging opportunity for two trainee Patent Attorneys to join our team, based at either our global headquarters in London or at our R&D facility in Southampton. As a trainee Patent Attorney, you will work with qualified attorneys in the team to provide the company with global, business-relevant advice on how best to protect our technical innovations in key markets, as well as advising on issues relating to infringement, validity and licensing. The work of the Patents team spans a wide range of technology areas including electronics and chemical formulations, novel heating technologies and inhaled delivery mechanisms, plant biotechnology, high speed manufacturing processes & machinery, and cigarette and filter product technology. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right attorneys to develop their skills in a fast-moving commercial environment alongside being given full support for your training to become a qualified UK and European patent attorney.
Core activities will include:
- Working closely alongside R&D teams to identify inventions and develop bespoke filing strategies to optimize patent protection;
- provision of solution-orientated legal advice on questions relating to infringement and validity, conflicts and disputes with third parties;
- instruction of external patent firms on issues relating to filing, prosecution, validity, legal opinions and management of the foreign patent and designs portfolio;
- engaging proactively with business teams to ensure that IP issues are identified, understood and dealt with effectively in the best interests of the BAT Group.
- a degree in a science or engineering from a top tier university, preferably with additional academic qualifications such as a Ph.D.
- be a part-qualified U.K. Patent Attorney possessing either an MSC in Management of Intellectual Property or equivalent qualification;
- ability to provide commercially focused advice;
- ability to translate complex IP issues into easily understandable terms and to communicate these effectively both orally and in writing;
- excellent interpersonal skills, ability to manage and prioritize own workload.
- previous experience in R&D would be beneficial but is not essential
For both roles, the right candidate is more important than the technical area of expertise.
For more information or to apply for the roles please contact Oana Chermenschi by email on email@example.com or apply on https://tinyurl.com/y7x53x9r .
British American Tobacco is a market leading, global organisation with a long-established history and a bright and dynamic future.