Patent Attorney, Basingstoke
Patent Attorney, Basingstoke
We look for the risk-takers, the collaborators, the inspired and the inspirational. We want the people who are brave enough to work at the cutting edge and create solutions that will enrich and improve the lives of people across the globe. So, if you want to make the world say wow, let's talk.
The conversation starts here. If the Patent Attorney (IP Manager) role matches your ambitions and skillset, let's get started with your application. Take a look at our other open positions too. Our many opportunities can lead to infinite possibilities.
We are currently looking for a Patent Attorney (IP Manager) to join our team in Basingstoke, Hampshire. To be considered you will need to show:
- Technical Degree in Engineering or Physics, with focus on communications technology.
- Patent attorney qualification or those that can show good experience in an in-house industry patent department, ideally in the field of telecommunications, overseeing a patent portfolio and advising the business in IP matters.
- Knowledge of patent law and the associated patent prosecution proceedings in the main jurisdictions (EP, GB, DE, US, preferably others) and ability to put that knowledge into practice for patent prosecution work and IP advice to the business.
- Experience in analysing products, patents, prior art documents and standards and preparing claim charts to facilitate patent enforcement.
The key responsibilities of the Patent Attorney (IP Manager) are around:
- Assist in managing part of Sony’s 3GPP/telecoms patent portfolio: Be the first point of contact for a Sony business division working in the field of 3GPP/telecoms for patent matters including patent filing and 3rd party advice.
- Patent Prosecution and Life Cycle: Direct and control the filing and drafting of patent applications for European R&D related to 3GPP standards, telecoms and other technologies. Determine the scope of protection and authorize the filing, grant and abandonment of patent applications, working closely with external drafting attorneys. The role is not expected to involve new drafting work, but can involve development of new continuation and divisional claims. Manage and coordinate the respective patent prosecution work of external patent attorneys on a global basis, including Europe, US and China.
- Patent Enforcement and Licensing Out: Identify competitor products relevant to Sony’s granted patents.
- Defensive 3rd Party Matters: Assist the business to understand scope of 3rd party patents and relevance to the business’s products or intended products.
Obviously there is far more to the role of Patent Attorney, to find out more and to apply please follow the following link [see JR-100659 IP Manager]: https://www.sony.co.uk/global-careers-at-sony/find-a-job.html