Patent Attorney/Lawyer, Jersey, Channel Islands
Patent Attorney – Jersey, Channel Islands (Relocation package offered)
We believe that ideas change the world. Our purpose is to help business leaders and IP professionals change the way they manage them. It’s a responsibility we take very seriously.
CPA Global is the world’s leading Intellectual Property (IP) Management and Technology company. We serve over 10,000 customers and connect millions of global IP users every day.
Maintaining expertise in current and historical IP laws and docketing practices, including statutory actions/formalities and due dates required to obtain and maintain intellectual property rights in different jurisdictions around the world. This includes proactively monitoring the external sources, including legislation, which report and contain law / rule changes.
As part of IP Legal structure, this role will be a member of the IP Law management team. As Patent Attorney, this self-motivated individual will lead the team responsible for the IP Law content across all the products and services in CPA Global by maintaining expertise in current and historical jurisdiction laws and docketing practices, including statutory actions/formalities and due dates required to obtain and maintain Intellectual Property rights in different jurisdictions around the world over the lifetime of a matter. The team will execute against IP Law strategies by driving the identification, research, acquisition and validation of intellectual property laws. They will also collaborate with internal stakeholders, customers and 3rd parties, including patent and trademark offices and agents, to maximize a core value of the business.
Principal duties and accountabilities
- Play a key role in process and system transformations with key stakeholders across the business
- Monitor industry for IP Law trends and law content offerings in the market, provide analysis to illustrate trends and identify opportunities and ensure expanded law content meets market expectations
- Develop a strategy and execute to keep abreast of jurisdiction law changes, ensure compliance with global IP developments and continue to exploit our law content as a market differentiator
- Drive for alignment in IP law content across CPA Global products/services and renewal platforms, setting approach and on-going maintenance
- Set global standards for monitoring and researching IP Legislative changes including key handoffs with the law implementation and support
- Utilize resources, such as Kluwer, legal publications, and official patent and trademark offices to identify and determine the research legislative changes and audit current country/region law repository
- Accurately review and interpret country IP law changes and document the requirements to turn over to law implementation for consumption into proprietary IP systems
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to identify and resolve business impacts with jurisdiction law changes
- Ensure rules content accuracy, timeliness and completeness are maintained as per company standards
- Provide Tier 3 support on IP laws to customers and internal resources, including IP Legal, Renewal Operations, Product and Development
- Support development and continuous improvement of standard IP law policies, procedures and best practices, including development and maintenance a robust IP law tracking system
- Oversee the legal aspects of the Renewal Operations, such as License of Rights, Power of Attorney and deputize for the Head of IP Legal when required
- Create and sustain a performance culture that consistently exceeds the expectations of internal and external stakeholders and maintain an environment that optimizes team and individual performance
- Identify, capture and report on key metrics relating to IP Law content changes, including monthly dashboards
Key skills and experience
- Qualified European or US Patent Attorney
- 10+ years’ experience in the Intellectual Property Industry with familiarity of IP docketing procedures required
- People management experience, ability to attract, retain and grow exceptional team
- Strong IP legal research skills with a solid knowledge of legal search tools and strategies
- Proven ability to interpret and explain complex IP laws
- Keen sensitivity to urgent deadlines with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written and, verbal and face-to-face communication and presentation skills. Ability to engage very effectively on a global basis across various cultural and language barriers.
- Strong relationship management skills, ability to build and maintain productive relationships with team members and leaders in functional areas within and across the business
- Proven ability to think like a customer, lead change and manage risk
- Self-motivated and goal-oriented, with proven ability to drive for results and work toward long-term strategic goals
- Quick learner with the ability to multi-task, and balance priorities and shifting deadlines
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, listening and time management skills
A competitive compensation package is on offer as well a relocation assistance package.
To apply for this role please send your CV/Resume to email@example.com or alternatively for more information please reach out to Felix Hoekstra-Khursheed (Recruitment Business Partner EMEA & APAC) on firstname.lastname@example.org
CPA Global, Liberation House, Castle Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE1 1BL, Channel Islands