Director Patent Events Logistics (10478)
Job group: 3
Grade: G13/3 (net (basic) montly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 12 370.70, which may be supplemented by various allowances depending on your personal circumstances)
Duration of appointment: 5 years
Career path: Managerial
Application deadline: 10 February 2020
With almost 7 000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is the second-largest public service institution in Europe. It supports innovation, competitiveness and economic growth across Europe through a commitment to high-quality and efficient services delivered under the European Patent Convention, its founding treaty. It has a yearly budget of EUR 2.3 billion, entirely financed by the fees paid by its users.
As set out in its Strategic Plan 2023, the EPO is fully committed to broadening the European patent system and network. It will strengthen and expand its co-operation activities with member and non member states of the European Patent Organisation and strive to heighten the patent network's impact. To realise this strategic objective, it will, as one of its key initiatives, enhance its stakeholder-focused IP education and event programme.
Within the Principal Directorate Patent Knowledge, the Directorate Patent Events Logistics is tasked with the consistent, co-ordinated and effective planning, organisation and implementation of the EPO's annual programme of tailored IP training and specialised IP knowledge events and conferences.
For this important mission, the Office is now seeking to appoint a Director Events Logistics who will report to Principal Director Patent Knowledge.
Your main responsibilities
- Steering the planning of an annual cycle of conferences, seminars, training courses and exhibitions in collaboration with the relevant in-house content providers
- Managing the implementation of the agreed events Office-wide and interfacing with external outsourcing partners
- Organising EPO participation at third-party events worldwide such as trade fairs, conferences and exhibitions
- Initiating and supporting related tender procedures, managing supplier relations (including SLAs) and evaluating their services
- Establishing continuous and coherent evaluation of services rendered by third parties
- Assessing the added value of organised events against the EPO's strategic targets, and advising content owners and management accordingly (effectiveness, sustainability, cost-efficiency, etc.)
- Developing future-oriented event formats
- Developing metrics and measures for coherent and effective branding, taking into account the EPO's business needs, cultural specificities and the competitiveness of the relevant markets
- Managing a team of professionals specialised in IP-related events
- Managing the directorate's budget
- Communicating management's operational directions and priorities and supporting the Principal Director Patent Knowledge in communicating and implementing change
- Contributing to the EPO's strategy by advising the Principal Director Patent Knowledge, the Chief International and Legal Officer and the Vice-President DG 5
What we expect from you
- In-depth understanding of IP rights and their importance on the market, and experience of patents and IP
- Experience and proven track record in managing all aspects of challenging events under diverse constraints (time, scope, user expectation, public attention, etc.)
- Knowledge and proven experience in efficient supplier management
- Ability to act quickly and effectively in difficult situations in a resilient way to ensure delivery
- Ability to work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Profound and proven understanding of all IP stakeholders and their needs and expectations in Europe and beyond
- Ability to lead and motivate a team through collaborative and agile working methods
- Diploma of completed studies at master's level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge of one official language and working knowledge of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language would be required.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
You can apply via ''this link''. The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and relevant experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews , test and/or a personality questionnnaire. Interviews are expected to take place in calendar week 10/11.
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
To foster gender diversity, EPO encourages applications from women.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
About the European Patent Office
With almost 7,000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the largest public service institutions in Europe. Its headquarters are in Munich and it also has offices in Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and Vienna. The EPO was founded with the aim of strengthening co-operation on patents in Europe. Through the EPO's centralised patent granting procedure, inventors are able to obtain high-quality patent protection in up to 44 countries, covering a market of some 700 million people. The EPO is also the world's leading authority in patent information and patent searching.
In 2018, the EPO received over 174 000 patent applications and granted over 127 000 patents. Its free online patent database, Espacenet, contains more than 100 million technical documents from 100 countries, and its free neural machine translation service, Patent Translate, provides instant, high-quality translation in 32 languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
What we offer
- intellectual challenges and empowerment through professional development
- the chance to work with inspiring people from various different cultures
- an excellent social package
- contributory medical-insurance and pension schemes
- relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependants', childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance), depending on their personal circumstances