European IP Attorney, Manchester UK
Thermo Fisher’s Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) provides complex technologies to analyze virtually any sample type including proteins and their structure, inorganic materials at atomic resolution, and chemicals and their composition. Our mass spectrometry, electron microscopy and spectroscopic technologies have been crucial in advancing industrial processes and have helped answer foundational questions in the sciences.
Under the direction of the Analytical Instruments Group’s European Counsel for Intellectual Property, the IP Attorney will primarily provide patent drafting and prosecution support to the Group’s European business units located in Bremen and Germering (Germany), Brno (Czech Republic), Eindhoven (Netherlands) and other European sites. There will also be opportunities to work with and support members of the EU Legal team on IP-related matters and to work on diverse legal matters such as business-strategic protection of IP, freedom-to-operate, licensing, IP related contracts, oppositions, IP litigation management/support and dispute settlement. Some amount of European and other international travel is required.
As part of a growing European IP practice group, there will be close working relationships with external IP attorneys, as well as European and US colleagues in the global IP department.
- Drafting clear and robust patent applications and actively prosecuting them to achieve commercially valuable patent claims.
- Interacting with business and R&D teams to provide tactical and strategic portfolio development guidance.
- Analyzing patentability and patent freedom-to-operate matters.
- Qualified European patent attorney with eight years of experience in European patent prosecution and IP legal practice, either in a law firm or corporate context.
- Strong English oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced degree in a field related to AIG technologies.
- Experience in patent portfolio development, licensing, IP related contracts and enforcement, is desirable. Experience and/or interest in international IP law, such as US and/or China, would be useful.
- Team player with strong intercultural skills, hands-on mentality, self-starter, ability to work in a complex matrix business environment and clearly communicate complex IP issues to business leaders.
In additional, the successful candidate will possess the following characteristics.
- Business Perspective - Ability to learn and understand significant business drivers. Demonstrated abilities to manage outside counsel, work efficiently, control costs, and exercise sound business and legal judgment.
- Self-motivated / driven to succeed - High level of initiative and ability to work autonomously. Must strive to consistently exceed expectations and look for opportunities to improve on existing processes or methods.
- Team oriented / strong interpersonal skills - Must be comfortable working in dynamic and diverse multi-national teams.
- Effective communicator - Ability to communicate efficiently across teams, functions and global regions. Skilled trainer with the ability to clearly convey concepts in a retainable and engaging manner.
- Principled - Possesses a strong sense of ethics and integrity.
While Manchester is the preferred location, applications from locations with a significant Thermo Fisher R&D presence will be accepted.
Please apply via this link:
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $25 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Our global team of more than 75,000 colleagues delivers an unrivalled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon.