European Patent Attorney, Arnhem, the Netherlands
European Patent Attorney, Arnhem, Netherlands
You have the opportunity to join Akzo Nobel Specialty Chemicals – formerly part of the Akzo Nobel Group but which has recently seen a successful separation to form its own stand-alone organization. Backed by the highly respected Carlyle Group, Akzo Nobel Specialty Chemicals is now embarking on a long-term growth trajectory, which has already identified substantial global expansion potential. With this progress comes the ever-critical support by the company’s highly experienced Intellectual Property (IP) Group.
The growing IP Department of Akzo Nobel Specialty Chemicals, which employs nine patent attorneys and local administrative support is organized across multiple locations with a concentration of patent attorneys located at the key research sites in Arnhem, Netherlands, and Chicago, USA. The group, which is managed by Marieke van Gent, Director of IP who reports into the General Counsel, has over 5000 granted patents in force and annually files around 50 priority patent applications.
As the appointee, you will be assigned a patent portfolio, depending on your technical background and experience. There is great flexibility on this and the portfolio can be organized to suit your skills. As well as supporting clients originating in Arnhem you may also handle patent projects residing at the R&D and Production facilities in Sweden, China and the USA.
The role is a full-service position and beyond the substantive duties, the need for providing IP advice to the business is key to your success. As you develop your understanding of each business you must develop a good appreciation of the competitive pressures and be able to advise from a commercial viewpoint whilst also ensuring maximum optimization and exploitation of the innovation.
- You come to this position with at least five years of patent experience;
- You will be educated in chemistry or a related discipline;
- You will have worked either in-house or in private practice because you join an experienced attorney team working across a matrix arrangement – you will not be operating as an island!
- Whichever background you come from, what cannot be assuaged is your knowledge of the full patent life cycle from drafting through to post-grant matters as well as supporting due diligence. You may have developed stronger foundation in some components of the patent process and support provided in other areas;
- You will be fluent in English and a knowledge of Dutch would be helpful although not crucial to the post.
Applications: Please contact MWA on +44 113 3910862 or alternatively e-mail your CV to Kieron Wright, Director or Sophie Caygill, Search Associate; firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. All third-party applications will be forwarded to MWA for assessment.
How to apply
Contact Kieron Wright, Director, or Sophie Caygill, Search Associate, of MWA Recruitment.
Kieron Wright or Sophie Caygill
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals.